TIFF 2014: Eden Review

Eden, the new film by Mia Hansen-Løve, may be formally described as the life of a young DJ (Félix de Givry) and his part in creating French house music (specifically "Garage"). However, I felt that the film was much more about Paul's passion for the music he was creating and his stubbornness to move on as he grows up. Eden's pacing mixed with Mia's reserved directional style, affected my viewing experience for better and for worse

In another director's hands, some of the events in Paul's life, like breakups or his drug addictions, could have been depicted in a more melodramatic or sensational way, but here, Mia never spends very long dwelling on any of this. While refreshing to see her approach, the same approach never made me feel like anything affected Paul all that much. Not to say that Félix's or anyone else's performances were poor, but I found myself wanting to stick around a bit longer when Paul is with his friends or his ex-lover(s).

However, instead of focusing my attention on viewing the film as Paul's life, I found the film more interesting as using Paul as a means to show the rise and fall of the music movement he was a part of, as well as the problems that I am sure many other musicians face to this day.

On the technical side of the production, the film looked great and the music choices were both fitting and made me want to move around in my seat. Overall, I found the film had a pleasant rhythm to it and created an atmosphere that I wanted to be a part of, albeit one that overstayed it's welcome. Unfortunately, the same rhythm and atmosphere that drew me in never amounted to much, leaving me rather empty by time the credits rolled.

6/10

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TIFF 2017 Review: Youth

TIFF 2017 Reviews: The Disaster Artist, Thelma, Brawl in Cell Block 99

TIFF Picks for 2017 - What made the list